Need BIS Certification ? Get License Consultants are India’s Leading BIS Certification Consultants which provide end to end guidance and support for BIS Certification license Registration. Our services are backed by our years of experience and knowledge. On this page we have shared details regarding BIS Certification . You may go through it and contact us for further queries.
What is BIS ?
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is the National Standard Body of India . BIS certification is a type of conformity assessment that is required for goods sold in India. BIS certification is mandatory for certain types of products, particularly those relating to public health and safety. The certification ensures that the goods meet national and international standards of quality and safety. The standards and certification scheme of BIS apart from benefiting the consumers and industry also support various public policies especially in areas of product safety, consumer protection, food safety, environment protection, building and construction, etc.
What is BIS Certificate ?
A BIS certificate, is a confirmation issued by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) that a product meets the specified quality, safety, and performance standards set by BIS for the Indian market. The certification process involves testing and evaluation of the product by BIS-approved laboratories to ensure its compliance with the relevant Indian standards.
The BIS certificate is applicable to various products, including electrical appliances, industrial machinery, automotive components, consumer goods, and more. It assures consumers that the product they are purchasing has been tested and meets the required standards for quality and safety.
What is Validity and Renewable process of BIS Certification ?
Validity and renewal process for BIS certification may vary depending on the type of product and the specific BIS certification scheme. Here are some general guidelines:
- Validity: The initial validity of BIS certification for most products is typically one year from the date of issue. During this period, the manufacturer can use the BIS mark on the certified products.
- Renewal: After the initial validity period, manufacturers need to renew their BIS certification to continue using the BIS mark on their products. The renewal process involves reevaluation of the product to ensure ongoing compliance with the relevant Indian standards.
- Surveillance: During the validity period and even during the renewal process, BIS may conduct periodic surveillance visits and sample testing to verify the continued conformity of the products with the prescribed standards.
- Time frame for Renewal: Manufacturers usually receive reminders from BIS regarding the upcoming expiry of their certification. It is essential to apply for renewal before the current certification expires to avoid disruptions in the use of the BIS mark.
- Changes in Product Design or Specifications: If there are any changes in the product design or specifications during the validity period, the manufacturer should inform BIS, as this may require additional evaluation or testing to maintain certification validity.
What are the different Registration Schemes of BIS ?
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) offers various registration schemes to facilitate conformity assessment and ensure the quality and safety of products in India. Some of the notable registration schemes of BIS are:
- Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS): Under this scheme, certain products are mandated by the Indian government to undergo BIS certification before they can be sold in the Indian market. This scheme aims to ensure that products meet essential safety, health, and environmental requirements. Examples of products covered under CRS include electronic and IT goods, safety glass for automotive purposes, and certain household appliances.
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS): This scheme allows foreign manufacturers to seek BIS certification for products manufactured outside India. Foreign manufacturers can apply for certification on their products after ensuring conformity to the relevant Indian standards.
- Hallmarking Scheme: BIS offers a hallmarking scheme for gold and silver jewelry to assure consumers of the purity of precious metals. Under this scheme, jewellers are granted registration to sell hallmarked jewelry, and assaying and hallmarking centers are recognized to test and hallmark jewelry conforming to the specified Indian standards.
- ISI (Indian Standards Institute) Certification Scheme (ISI) – India refers to the process of obtaining the ISI certification mark for certain products that conform to the Indian Standards specified by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). The ISI mark is a quality certification mark that indicates that a product meets the relevant Indian standards for safety, quality, and performance .The ISI mark is mandatory for several products in India, such as electrical appliances, cement, steel products, food items, and various industrial products. Manufacturers must obtain ISI certification for these products before they can be sold in the Indian market.
- Normal Procedure for Domestic Manufacturer : The applicant needs to submit the BIS Registration or BIS Registration application along with certain documents and the requisite fees. After submitting the application an evaluation is carried out by a BIS officer where the samples are tested in the factory and drawn an independent testing report. And, if all things go well BIS Registration is provided where the sampling procedure is acceptable. BIS Registration is granted
- Simplified Procedure for Domestic Manufacturers : In the simplified procedure, the applicant along with the application for BIS Registration submits a test report of the sample from the approved lab to the BIS officer. If the test report is satisfactory then the BIS officer will verify the factory and grant certificate of registration within 30 days of submission of BIS Registration application with a required test report. The simplified procedure is applicable for grant of license of All India First license cases and for all the products except for the Products like cylinders, valves, cement, etc. , where it is necessary to get the approval from another statutory authority; All those products for which BIS license is issued on the basis of factory testing;Packaged Drinking Water (PDW) and Packaged Natural Mineral Water (PNMW).
- Eco Mark Scheme :BIS also provides License to environmentally friendly products under a special scheme- ECO Mark Scheme where all environmental products are categorized conforming to the basic requirements under Indian Standards
What is BIS Registration Process?
The BIS registration process, also known as BIS certification, involves several steps to ensure that products meet the specified quality and safety standards set by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). Here’s an overview of the typical BIS registration process:
- Determine Applicability: The first step is to determine whether the product requires BIS certification or falls under the compulsory registration scheme (CRS). Certain products, like electronic and IT goods, are subject to mandatory BIS certification before they can be legally sold in the Indian market.
- Application: The manufacturer or importer of the product must submit an application to BIS for certification. The application should include relevant product details, technical specifications, and other necessary information.
- Sample Testing: BIS-approved laboratories will conduct sample testing of the product to verify its compliance with the applicable Indian standards. The samples are tested for quality, safety, and performance parameters.
- Factory Inspection: BIS may conduct an inspection of the manufacturing facility to ensure that the production processes and quality control measures are in line with the prescribed standards.
- Document Verification: BIS will review the technical documents and test reports submitted by the manufacturer to ensure they meet the required criteria.
- Evaluation: Based on the sample testing, factory inspection, and document verification, BIS evaluates whether the product meets the necessary standards.
- Grant of Certification: If the product successfully meets all the requirements, BIS grants the certification. The manufacturer is then allowed to use the ISI mark on the certified product.
- Surveillance and Renewal: After certification, BIS may conduct periodic surveillance visits and sample testing to ensure ongoing compliance with the standards. Manufacturers must renew their certification as per the specified intervals.
What are the Benefits Of The BIS Certificate ?
- Compliance with Standards: The BIS certificate ensures that the product complies with the relevant Indian standards, which indicates its quality, safety, and performance. This compliance enhances the product’s market acceptance and credibility.
- Consumer Confidence: The ISI mark on a product instills confidence in consumers as it assures them that the product has undergone rigorous testing and meets the required quality and safety standards.
- Product Differentiation: The ISI mark differentiates certified products from non-certified ones in the market, providing a competitive advantage to manufacturers who have their products certified.
- Brand Reputation: Having the ISI mark on products enhances the brand’s reputation as it signifies a commitment to quality and consumer safety.
- Environmental Protection: BIS standards often include provisions for environmental protection and energy efficiency, contributing to sustainable development goals.
What are Objectives of BIS ?
The primary objective of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is to promote standardization, marking, and quality certification of goods and services in India. BIS plays a crucial role in ensuring that products meet specific standards of quality, safety, and performance, thereby safeguarding consumer interests and supporting industry growth. Some of the key objectives of BIS include:
- Harmonious Development: BIS aims to promote the harmonious development of activities related to standardization, marking, and quality certification across various sectors of the economy.
- Consumer Protection: BIS strives to protect consumers by formulating and implementing standards that ensure the quality, safety, and reliability of products available in the market.
- Industry Growth and Competitiveness: BIS supports the growth and competitiveness of industries by providing them with standards that help improve the quality of their products and services.
- National Priorities: BIS focuses on addressing national priorities, such as technological advancements, energy conservation, environmental protection, and public health and safety through its standardization and certification activities.
- Facilitating Trade: By establishing and promoting Indian standards that align with international norms, BIS aims to facilitate trade and improve the acceptance of Indian products in the global market.
- Simplifying Conformity Assessment: BIS works towards making the conformity assessment processes simpler and more efficient for manufacturers and businesses.
- Supporting Government Initiatives: BIS collaborates with various government initiatives, such as Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Digital India, and Make in India, by contributing through its standardization and certification efforts.
- Environment Protection: BIS incorporates provisions for environmental protection and energy conservation in its standards, contributing to sustainable development goals.
What are various activities involve in BIS ?
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is involved in various activities to fulfill its mission of promoting standardization, marking, and quality certification of goods and services in India. Some of the key activities undertaken by BIS are as follows:
- Standards Formulation: BIS formulates Indian Standards for various sectors, covering products, processes, and services. These standards are developed to ensure quality, safety, and performance, and they serve as a reference for industries to produce goods and services that meet specific criteria.
- Conformity Assessment: BIS conducts conformity assessment activities to verify that products, systems, and services comply with the relevant Indian Standards. This involves testing, inspection, and certification processes carried out by BIS-approved laboratories and certification bodies.
- Product Certification: BIS operates a product certification scheme through which manufacturers can obtain the ISI mark for their products. The ISI mark indicates that the product meets the prescribed Indian standards and assures consumers of its quality and safety.
- Hallmarking of Precious Metals: BIS provides hallmarking services for gold and silver jewelry, ensuring their purity and genuineness. Jewelers are granted registration to sell hallmarked jewelry, and assaying and hallmarking centers verify the purity of the jewelry before applying the hallmark.
- Laboratory Services: BIS operates several laboratories, including central and branch offices, to conduct testing and evaluation of products and materials for conformity assessment purposes. These laboratories help ensure the accuracy and reliability of the certification process.
- Training and Capacity Building: BIS offers training programs through the National Institute of Training for Standardization (NITS) to educate industry personnel, government officials, and other stakeholders about standardization, quality management, and conformity assessment.
- International Collaboration: BIS actively participates in international standardization activities through organizations like ISO and IEC. It collaborates with other national standards bodies and contributes to the development of global standards.
- Consumer Awareness: BIS conducts various awareness programs to educate consumers about the importance of standardization, product certification, and the significance of the ISI mark. These initiatives help raise consumer confidence and promote informed choices.
- Industry Awareness: BIS organizes awareness programs for industries to promote the adoption of Indian Standards and encourage quality management practices.
- Public Grievances: BIS reviews and addresses consumer complaints related to BIS-certified products, ensuring prompt redressal and consumer protection.
BIS Certificate Consultancy Services by Get License
Get License is India’s leading License Consultancy based in New Delhi. We have over 10 years experience in this field and offer end to end ISP/ VNO/ ACCESS/ BIS Certificate /DOT OSP/ IP One License registration, guidance and support. Our expertise ensures a hassle free experience and also saves on time and effort. Furthermore, our services are really affordable. If you are looking for an experienced consultant to manage your license procurement process then connect with Get License.
We offer end to end Registration Consultancy services across India in all states. In North India we offer services in Delhi, NCR, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Agra, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Ludhiana, Jammu, Allahabad, Patna, Lucknow, Dehradun. In Central India we offer services in Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Pune, Surat, Nagpur, Nashik, Indore, Kolkota, Aurangabad, Vadodara, Kota, Alwar, Ajmer, Bikaner. In South we offer services in Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kochi, Madurai, Coimbatore, Bhaubaneshwar, Puducherry, Mysuru, Vishakhapatnam, Mangalore, Thiruchirapalli, Vijaywada, Warangal, Salem, Thrissur, Hubli, Belgaum, Vellore, Secunderabad, Rajahmundry, Tirunelveli. In North East India we offer services in Guwahati, Shillong, Imphal, Gangtok, Agartala, Kohima, Aizawl, Dibrugarh, Silchar and Tezpur.
To discuss your requirements and get our expert opinion Call us : 8178861057, 9910260004